Brer Rabbit points the way to the Uncle Remus Museum. (7/6/05)
The Uncle Remus Museum (see website). (7/6/05)
Uncle Remus Museum historical marker (7/6/05):
This memorial to Joel Chandler Harris, born in Eatonton Dec. 9, 1848, was constructed from three slave cabins found in Putnam County. Uncle Remus Museum, Inc., a local non-profit organization of dedicated citizens established and has maintained its operation continuously from the opening on April 21, 1963.
Turner Park is a part of the home place of Joseph Sidney Turner, the “little boy” to whom the world famous stories of the “critters” were told by “Uncle Remus,” Harris' unique creation. Turner grew up at “Turnwold,” nine miles east of Eatonton, home of his father, Joseph Addison Turner, where Harris had his first job assisting in printing The Countryman.
The Town Well Shelter in Turner Park. (7/6/05)
The Town Well Shelter historical marker (7/6/05):
This well shelter was probably built in 1839 when James Wright fulfilled his contract to dig a new well and build a well shelter on the public square for one hundred and fifty dollars. In 1902 a public drinking foundtain was installed on the public square and the well was filled in. At that time the well shelter was removed from the public square and at the request of Hampton C. Walker the well shelter was placed over the well located on the property line between “the old Adam Hefner House” and “the old Dan O'Sullivan House,” the “middle of the well” having been the property line between the two lots since 1817. Years later W. Wingfield Walker, through inheritance from his father Hampton C. Walker, owned both lots and sold them. The well, a landmark of long standing, was filled in when the present Radio Station was constructed in 1962. The well shelter, having sustained only minor alterations and repairs over the years, was removed at the request of W. Wingfield Walker to Turner Park.
Brer Rabbit also graces the “Welcome to Eatonton” banner. (7/6/05)
This guide to Eatonton is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2005–2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.