St. Martinville, Louisiana

By Henry H. Mitchell.

Following are photographic images from the heart of historic St. Martinville, Louisiana. (See also “A Search for Evangeline.”)


St. Martin de Tours Church

St. Martin de Tours Church, 133 South Main Street, was designed ca. 1825 by architect Robert R. Benson. National Register of Historic Places.



Bayou Teche

Bayou Teche, as seen from the Bayou Teche Boardwalk near the Evangeline Oak (near the intersection of Evangeline Boulevard and South New Market Street).



Bayou Teche Boardwalk

The Bayou Teche Boardwalk.



Evangeline Oak and Old Castillo Hotel

The Evangeline Oak (left, at end of Evangeline Boulevard), and Old Castillo Hotel (right).



Old Castillo Hotel

The Old Castillo Hotel, 220 Evangeline Boulevard, was built in 1829. Also known as Mercy High School, the building was for about a century the home of a Catholic school operated by the Sisters of Mercy. It is now the Old Castillo Bed and Breakfast. National Register of Historic Places.



Green in St. Martinville

“It isn't easy being green!” (A St. Martinville resident, near the Evangeline Oak.)



Museum of the Acadian Memorial

The St. Martinville Cultural Heritage Center, South New Market Street, containing the Museum of the Acadian Memorial and the African American Museum.



Acadian Memorial

The Acadian Memorial, South New Market Street, adjacent to the above St. Martinville Cultural Heritage Center. The Bayou Teche Boardwalk is behind these buildings, along Bayou Teche.



Chastaignier House

The Italianate-style Eugene Duchamp de Chastaignier house, Main Street at Evangeline Boulevard, was designed by architect David Sandoz and built in 1876. During the 1900's it was utilized as the St. Martinville Post Office. National Register of Historic Places.



St. Martin Parish Courthouse

The St. Martin Parish Courthouse, 415 South Main Street, is a Greek Revival structure from the mid-1800's. National Register of Historic Places.



Bonin-Bienvenu House

Bonin-Bienvenu House, 421 North Main Street. Originally constructed in the Italian villa style ca. 1850, with Queen Anne restyling in the late 1800's and Colonial Revival renovations in the 1920's. It has been owned by the Bonin, Bienvenu, and Longpacher families. It has also been known as the Bienvenue House Bed and Breakfast. National Register of Historic Places.



Bonin-Bienvenu House

Bonin-Bienvenu House (side view).



Soulier House

The Soulier House, 417 North Main Street, is a late Victorian (ca. 1900) Queen Anne cottage. National Register of Historic Places.



Dautreuil House

The Dautreuil House, 517 East Bridge Street, dates from around 1825. National Register of Historic Places.



Cemetery

A typical south Louisiana cemetery, with above-ground tombs. Note on the near side of the cemetery the concrete block fenceposts, which appear to have been pressed with a Sears, Roebuck & Co. (or similar) press (see related article).



St. Martinville historical marker

From the historical marker:

“City developed c. 1795 – c. 1890 through unusual semi-feudal arrangement where town property owners paid an ‘annual and perpetual’ rent to the congregation of St. Martin de Tours Church.”



St. Martinville historical marker

Reverse of the above historical marker, with text in French.



This guide to St. Martinville is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.