Alexander Dickson House, ca. 1790, at East King and South Cameron Streets, now the home of The Alliance for Historic Hillsborough.
The 18th and 19th century medicinal and herbal garden at the Alexander Dickson House.
William Courtney's “Yellow House,” ca. 1768, East King Street.
Still House Lott, restored 1996, at East King and South Cameron Streets.
The Orange County Courthouse, Court Street and East King Street, built 1844-1845. The columns appear to be constructed according to specifications in plates XXIII and XXIV of Asher Benjamin's The Architect, or Practical House Carpenter, 1830.
The Orange County Courthouse, seen from across Churton Street.
Staircase in northwest (front) corner of the Orange County Courthouse.
Staircase in northeast (front) corner of the Orange County Courthouse.
Downstairs front corridor in the Orange County Courthouse.
Upstairs front landing and fan window in the Orange County Courthouse.
Upstairs front window, with inside and outside chandeliers, at the Orange County Courthouse.
From the plaque on the Orange County Courthouse:
Orange County Courthouse
Fourth on This Site
Designed and Erected 1844-45
John Berry of Hillsborough 1798-1870
Builder, Architect, Legislator, Humanitarian
Builder of Distinguished Structures in His Native State
Contributor to the Tradition of American Architecture
Member of North Carolina Senate
1848, 1850, 1852, 1864, and 1866
Member of North Carolina House of Commons 1862
Member of N.C. Constitutional Conventions, 1861 and 1865
Trustee of Wake Forest College 1850-1862
An Historic American Building
The National Park Service
Department of the Interior
This Plaque Placed By
The Hillsborough Historical Society
From the historical marker at Churton and King Streets:
Governor of N.C., was captured in Hillsboro by David Fanning and his Tories, Sept. 12, 1781, and taken to Charleston, S.C.
North side of the 1778 Kentucky Expedition Marker at the Orange County Courthouse.
South side of the 1778 Kentucky Expedition marker.
From the historical plaque commemorating the 1778 Kentucky Expedition:
From this spot where stood the old state house was started an expedition of frontiersmen under Col. Richard Henderson for Kentucky, led by Daniel Boone, March 17, 1778. “And they marched away solemnly as if going to the ends of the world.” Nearby are buried 1 signer of the Declaration of Independence, 2 Governors, 2 Chief Justices. In tablet is metal of the U.S.S. Maine.
Trading path plaque on south side of Kentucky Expedition marker.
“Boone Trail Highway” plaque on south side of Kentucky Expedition marker.
This guide to Hillsborough is sponsored by Mitchells Publications.
Copyright © 2006 Patricia B. Mitchell.