George T. Jones

The first article below, with accompanying photograph, is from an unidentified newspaper clipping, ca. 1948. The second, third, and fourth items are from early 1945, and are also unidentified as to their sources. All were included in what appears to be a scrapbook prepared during World War II at Chatham High School. The scrapbook is now in the collection of the Pittsylvania Historical Society.

Sergeant First Class George T. Jones

Sergeant First Class George T. Jones

Chatham Soldier Begins Time on Ninth Hash Mark

Sergeant First Class George T. Jones, son of James E. Jones, of Chatham, and veteran of 25 years' army service, was recently sworn in for his ninth enlistment. He will spend a 90-day reenlistment furlough in the States, then return to his assignment at First Constabulary Brigade Headquarters, Wiesbaden, Germany.

Jones, who is the oldest man in point of service at First Brigade Headquarters, has spent most of his 24 years' duty with Coast Artillery units in the States and Panama. He fought with the 100th Infantry division in the Battle of the Bulge, was captured and held prisoner of war for three and one-half months.

Sgt. George Jones Missing In Action

Sgt. George T. Jones has been reported missing in action in Germany since December 21, the War Department notified his father, James E. Jones of Chatham.

The 36-year-old infantryman is a veteran of 21 years of regular Army service, having entered the armed forces before his 16th birthday. Last August Sgt. Jones returned to the continental United States after five years' duty in Panama, and following his furlough spent here with his father, he reported to an Army camp in Kansas for re-assignment. From the camp he left for overseas duty in the European theater of operations.

Sgt. George Jones Is War Prisoner
Was Once ’Missing‚

CHATHAM, Va. March 5 — Sgt. George T. Jones, 36, who was reported missing in action in Germany on December 21, wrote a card to his father, James E. Jones of Chatham, telling him that he is a prisoner of war of the Germans and is in good health.

The card, written in longhand by the infantryman, was the first information his father had received since the soldier was reported missing, and it was also the first communication received from him since last November.

Sgt. Jones is a veteran of 21 years of service in the Army, having joined the service when he was 15 years of age. For some time he was assigned to duty in Panama until last August when he returned home on furlough and left for European duty last September.

He is the brother of Lt. Clevis Jones, bombardier, who was decorated six times for service in the Pacific theatre of operations. Lt. Jones is now stationed at Ardmore Army Air Field, Ardmore, Oklahoma.

One Danville and One Chatham Soldier Freed

By Lee McCardell
Baltimore Sunpapers War Correspondent
(Distributed by the A.P.)

WITH THE U.S. 3RD ARMY. - (Delayed) - American prisoners of war liberated when the sixth Armored Division overran a Stalag near Ziegnain last Friday included the following:

(VIRGINIA) T/4 Raymond Sayers of (101 North Belmont St.) Richmond; T/4 John E. Stanton of Hopewell; Sgt. Walter W. Wheeler of Dante; Sgt. Henry L. Hendricks of Lynchburg; Sgt. George T. Jones of Chatham; Sgt. Riner Thompson of Riner; T/5 Walker S. Marshall of Hanover; Sgt. Evert Duncan of Danville.

All these men are safe and well. I saw and talked personally to almost all of them.

This website is sponsored by Mitchells Publications, Chatham, Virginia.